My new kitten keeps hissing at me. Why?

Postby bradwr24 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I have 2 kittens they are sister. I went and picked up Raider last week, to the day, and she has been doing really good. Today I went and picked up her sister because the family that had them needed to find them good homes. As soon as I brought Oakland, my new kitty, into the room Raider started to hiss. My friend who was here told me that this was normal since Raider has been in the apartment all by herself and she is going to have to get use to the other kitten. Well I let Oakland start roaming the apartment so she can feel comfortable. I picked her up so that I would be able to take her to the litter box and to her food. While I was holding her she started to hiss and scratch at me. I thought maybe this was due to her not knowing me and scared of being in a new home. I then let her wonder by herself and all she did was hide under the bed. It was time for bed now and me and Raider got into our usual bed time pattern of getting comfortable and I could hear Oakland start to cry so I helped her up on the bed so she could lay with us. She was laying for just a few minutes letting me pet her then out of nowhere she started to hiss at me. I stopped petting her and tried to let her smell me and she jumped off the bed and went back into hiding. I keep trying to pet her and let her get use to me but she just keeps hissing. I am really worried. Is this normal and will she start to get more comfortable? Please help!!!
bradwr24

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby leon17 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:04 pm

It is normal for a new kitten to hiss, they are just scared, eventually they will adjust, just give it time.
leon17

Postby roddy16 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm

give her a little time and this will resolve. but keep trying to show loving affection to both to prevent jealousy. good luck
roddy16

Postby ronny9 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 pm

I have had cats in my life ever since I can remember. It sounds like she is truly trying to get comfortable with sharing attention. Even with her making an adjustment to her new surroundings, you and her sibling already have a cuddle routine and bond. The new kitten senses and may be alittle threatened. Just keep including her in you and your kitty's daily routine. She will come around in a couple weeks if not sooner. If the anti social behavior continues speak to a vet about it because it can turn into a sibling rivalry issue. Yes cats do these things too. Hope this helped :)
ronny9

Postby neff5 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:08 pm

She hisses as a warning - she is scared or insecure - & hisses to tell u to keep your distance. she will settle down when she gets used to your presence. be quiet with her & only gentle stroking each time, for a couple of mins, so she doesnt feel threatened.
neff5

Return to Oakland Raiders